Pet Health tip: ask yourself...
If you’re anything like me, when you got your dog you figured she will be a whole lot healthier and live longer if you don't feed her the same boring dog food everyday. Besides, how boring is it for your dog to have to eat the same thing every day anyway? How much nutrition can a bag of dog food really provide? Although some dog food brands are better than others, mixing certain people foods like lean meats and fresh produce is good practice. Never-the-less, there are certain everyday foods humans eat that could be toxic to your dog even in small amounts.
It makes me sad to hear people tell me time and again about how much they miss their dog because it started developing seizures for no reason. There sadly usually is a reason and that reason usually is a result of something toxic their dog consumed.
So before you just give your dog a treat or a scrap form the table think about the ingredients and ask yourself....
Is Avocado ok for my dog to eat?
No. Avocados have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren't allergic to it. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit.
Is it ok to give my dog Alcohol?
No. Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people. But it takes a lot less to hurt your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be bad. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death. And the smaller your dog, the worse it can be.
Are Onions and Garlic ok for my dog to eat?
Keep onions and garlic -- powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated -- away from your dog. They can kill his red blood cells, causing anemia. Garlic is part of the Allium family, and it is five times more toxic to dogs than the rest of the Allium plants. Garlic can create anemia in dogs, causing side effects such as pale gums, elevated heart rate, weakness, and collapsing. Poisoning from garlic and onions may have delayed symptoms so if you notice your dog in a bad health condition think back a few days about everything he may have consumed and Garlic could be the reason.
Is Chocolate really toxic for my dog?
Yes. Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs. The problem in chocolate is theobromine. It's in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.
Chocolate contains very toxic substances called methylxanthines, which are stimulants that stop a dog’s metabolic process. Even just a little bit of chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can cause diarrhea and vomiting. A large amount can cause seizures, irregular heart function, and even death. Do not have chocolate in an accessible location. If your dog does ingest chocolate, contact a veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline as soon as possible.
Is it ok if my dog has caffeine?
No. Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine can be fatal. Give your dog toys if you want him to be perky. Watch out for coffee and tea, even the beans and the grounds. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also in some cold medicines and pain killers. Think your dog had caffeine? Watch for restlessness, fast breathing, and muscle twitches.
What happens if my dog eats Grapes and or Raisins?
There are better treats to give your dog. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog willget sluggish and depressed.
Is it ok to give my dog Milk instead of water?
No. Canines in general are lactose-intolerant and don't digest milk well. Lactose is a sugar found in milk products. While it is okay for dogs to have a little milk, owners should be cognizant of the symptoms of lactose-intolerance and might want to stick to giving their dogs water. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems for your pup. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause her to itch.
No, dogs shouldn't eat ice cream. As refreshing of a treat as ice cream is, its best not to share it with your dog. Although it’s also a dairy product, frozen yogurt is a much better alternative. To avoid the milk altogether, freeze chunks of strawberries, raspberries, apples, and pineapples and give them to your dog as a sweet, icy treat.
My dog loves peanut butter, so all kinds of nuts are ok to give him right?
Not all peanut butter is good for dogs!
Pecans, walnuts, and macadamia are also toxic.
Almonds may not necessarily be toxic to dogs like other nuts are, but they can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe if not chewed properly.
Keep your dog away from macadamia nuts and foods that have macadamia nuts in them. Just six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick. Look for symptoms like muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even leading to death.
Fat Trimmings and Bones
Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, can cause pancreatitis in dogs. And, even though it seems natural to give a dog a bone, she can choke on it. Bones can also splinter and block or cause cuts in your dog's digestive system.
My dog loves to eat Peaches and Plums so those are ok to give as a treat right?
Nope. The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. Seeds from persimmons can cause problems in a dog's small intestine. They can also block his intestines. That can also happen if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Peach and plum pits also have cyanide, which is poisonous to people and dogs. People know not to eat them. Dogs don’t.
Is it safe for my dog to eat raw eggs?
My dog loves Raw Meat and Fish. Is that ok?
Nope. not even if his name is Rocky. Some people feed their dogs a "raw diet" that includes uncooked eggs. But the major veterinary medical associations don't think that's a good idea. There's the chance of food poisoning from bacteria like salmonella or E. coli. Talk to your vet if you have questions.
Like raw eggs, raw meat and fish can have bacteria that causes food poisoning. Some fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can also have a parasite that causes "fish disease" or "salmon poisoning disease." It's treatable, but get help right away. The first signs are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Fully cook the fish to kill the parasite.
It’s not a good idea to share salty foods like chips or pretzels with your dog. Eating too much salt can make your dog seriously thirsty. That means a lot of trips to the fire hydrant and it could lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, high temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death.
Sugary Foods and Drinks
Too much sugar can do the same thing to dogs that it does to people. It can make your dog overweight and cause problems with her teeth. It can even lead to diabetes.
Before it’s baked, bread dough needs to rise. And, that’s exactly what it would do in your dog’s stomach if he ate it. As it swells inside, the dough can stretch your dog’s abdomen and cause a lot of pain. Also, when the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it makes alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning.
Dogs shouldn't take people medicine. It's can make them very sick. Just as you do for your kids, keep all medicines out of your dog’s reach. And, never give your dog any over-the-counter medicine unless your vet tells you to. Ingredients such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen are common in pain relievers and cold medicine. And, they can be deadly for your dog.
Baking powder and baking soda are both highly toxic.
So are nutmeg and other spices.